Friday 24 February 2012

Group Dinner

Since the class began on Monday, one of the participants appointed himself social coordinator and was working hard to get us all out for a dinner.  On Tuesday after class, while we were in Hoi An, they scouted Da Nang for a suitable location.  As a group they settled on a ocean front seafood restaurant on Da Nang Beach (aka China Beach) across the bay from a giant female Buddha.  Having experienced group dinners in China, I should have been prepared but I didn't think that I would be called upon again to serenade my new friends.  About half way through our amazing seafood dinner, most of which was headless and tailless I am happy to report, they break out into song.  Folk songs, love songs, regional songs - no pop songs though. Everyone plays. Even the shyest ones in the class become Vietnamese Idols for a song.  I knew I was getting out of this without a song and my mind went completely blank of lyrics.  Not a single song came to mind except Christmas songs.  I finally managed a verse of "This Land is Your Land"perhaps not exactly as written but close enough to pass.  Phew!  Our national pride saved for another day (sort of).






No comments: