Friday 21 March 2008

out and about



Wow, that week zoomed by. I was hoping to post again since the sun did come out and my mood picked up but I ran out of time. I still am working on the things I like. It's not that I can't think of any, I'm just collecting a few pictures and waiting for one last thing. Stay tuned.
In the meantime, here's a little photo shoot from yesterday. I took off for a little adventure in the morning - got lost, walked 5 km to get 'unlost' but saw lots of cool things along the way like this temple:


Complete with a street lined with flowering plum trees. Perfect. This is Jiming Temple and is home to Buddhist nuns. Nice digs ladies. I will be returning next week to tour.

The big trip of the day was to Yuejang Tower and surrounding parks area.





In the park beside the temple, men were practicing spinning these tops. I have no idea what they are called. They wrap the string around the bottom of the top and make it twirl. The whirling sound in the video is the sound the tops make. Pretty neat stuff.




They tried to teach me. The best I could do was keep it spinning on the string. You can see the tower in the background. We climbed to the top but it was a misty day (actually mist not just smog) so we didn't get a good view of the Yangtze River.


The other common activity in the park is cards and board games. The Walker clan would fit right in! It was a good day complete with lots of exercise. We're off to see the Nanjing Museum today. It is known as one of the best collection of Chinese artifacts in China including jade, pottery and embroidery (oh my). See ya!

No comments: