Monday 24 December 2012

Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary

We're on the last stop of India Tour 2012.  There is no doubt in my mind that I will be back. I always doubted that I would like it here but India is so much more than Delhi and Mumbai.  Even those places had their charm.

Right now we are on the edge of Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary. There are Kingfishers, egrets, snake neck birds, heaps of cormorants and a few others I don't know the names of. Not to mention butterflies, flowers and a curious lake otter that bobbed up to say hi this morning. It is paradise here in Kerala.

View of our room
Snake neck bird - crane? stork? 

This morning we took a tour to taste a toddy. If I'm not sick from that tomorrow then I know my system has adjusted to Indian microflora. A toddy, or coconut palm wine, is an alcoholic drink made from coconut flowers mixed with "mud" and allowed to ferment.  I have to say ours didn't taste fermented enough so we'll see how that goes.

We enjoyed a lovely canoe ride and then walk back to the village, stopping along the way to look at local flowers, agriculture and of course the beautiful friendly people.  Once you smile they are all smiles.  It is a beautiful life here despite the lack of easy access to fresh (safe) water. It is getting better but I have seen countless people take sips from the river while bathing. 

A walk through the village
Tonight we have tea and watch the flying foxes but for now it is a pool and spa day. Love it here. The service is outstanding, people are friendly and in the country, the scenery is lush and beautiful.  Now I see why people fall in love with India.


Tea time

Sunset view while having tea


Sunrise from the yoga platform



Hotel walkway and cabins

My view for the next few days

No comments: