Monday 5 March 2012

Angkor Temples

I don't even know where to begin.  I would say that it is just about impossible to fully describe the magnitude of this entire complex of temples.  To just name Angkor Wat doesn't do justice to the area - in fact, I might even say Angkor Thom is my favourite site with its towers of peaceful Buddha faces - four types in total.  It is impossible to describe the experience so I'll show a few of the 100+ photos (keep that in mind if you come over and ask to see photos).

A bit about the day - we biked out to the temples from Siem Reap, then biked from Ta Prohn (aka Tomb Raider temple), Bayon, lunch across from Angkor Wat and then into Angkor Wat for the afternoon.  Our guide was masterful at dodging the crowds while giving a mix of time to appreciate each unique site.  Having him was invaluable.  The temperature was about 36 in the shade, maybe part shade.  It was a scorcher.  We biked back to the hotel and I had a Khmer massage in my room by 4:30 for $15.  All 70 lbs of her worked out 6 days of biking kinks - even if she had to use her feet.

It truly was an awesome day.

Ta Prohm




Peter finally found his dangerous snake - all four inches of it.

Angkor Thom gate - one of four

Just one of the many bas-reliefs


Bayon - my favourite



Angkor Wat - on the wall

Found a spot where palm trees covered up the construction


Yep - eyes closed, sun was burning my retinas

No comments: