Monday 5 March 2012

Sunrise, sunrise

Just when I thought Angkor Wat couldn't be more spectacular, I hauled my tired carcass out of bed at 4:30 am to claim my seat for what turned out to be an amazing show.  The day before we arranged for a tuk-tuk driver to pick us up at 5:00 am.  When the alarm went off at 4:30, I found out Peter had been suffering all night with a whole host of issues, none of which lent itself to a bumpy ride to a location with very few bathrooms.  So I did what any supportive spouse would do in this situation - I headed out alone.  To be fair, we had already paid for the entry and arranged for the driver. He was going back to sleep and I was wide awake so it only made sense. Right?

Obviously my planning wasn't as thorough as I thought.  I hit the gates of Angkor Wat before the crowds all right but forgot the head lamps we've been carrying throughout the trip in case we needed them. This may have been such an occasion.  I tripped my way over the dark bridge and through the really dark gates of Angkor Wat to claim my perfect spot at the library steps, just as our guide instructed. It was a surreal experience - very few people, music playing in the distance at the monastery, stars twinkling.  Then the crowds caught up. And boy did they! Bus load after bus load jostled for position. Although the mystical ambiance was now firmly blown away, the light show that we were treated to was nothing short of spectacular.

First light


Outside the gate

In my tuk-tuk headed for Bayon - Moats of Angkor Wat

I headed out before the sun hit the temple not only to beat the crowd but also to see Bayon in the early morning.  I decided to head on to the Terrace of Elephants and ended up walking around the rest of the Angkor Thom site.  There was no one around. It was so peaceful given the hordes of people that typically inhabit the grounds.  My explorations took me through some amazing scenery and was all going well until I stepped on a hidden loose rock and slid down a hill.  My big toe and camera got the worst of that mishap.  Poor camera. This is the second incident. But it still seems to be working despite the amount of sand worked into the turning bits.  Will have to fix that when I get home.  Here's what I saw after sunrise.

Terrace leading to Baphuon

Baphuon - city centre for Angkor Thom

Terrance of the Elephants

Testing the timer on the new camera


Timer works

Phimeanakas bottom

Phimeanakas - top (yikes)


Inside Terrance of the Leper King
I came back by 9 am to hot and sick husband.  After a quick trip to the pharmacy complete with charades, I came back with Tylenol and rehydration salts. Those seem to be doing the trick.  The rest of the day was spent shopping and by the pool.  Certainly no hardships for me.  Poor Peter though.  Hope tomorrow is better. Last day of the pass and have lots to see yet.


The end of the night resulted in this.  As I walked to the pharmacy again for a new batch of salts I got sucked in by this. It is as uncomfortable as it looks.  You go from the small fish, to the big ones featured below.  But they give you a free beer.




No comments: