Friday 25 May 2012

Picture update

It's been busy. If we aren't diving, we are touring above water or talking or learning.  Definitely no sleeping though.  Also I've been helping write the SEA blog.  We were published again here. Actually this time I wrote the whole thing with Kip's photos. 

Right now I am looking at a wicked thunderstorm which would be fun if it didn't prevent us from diving.  Looks like we will be enganging in some lectures this morning instead - which truthfully is also pretty cool.

So here's an overview of the last few days.

Everyone has been so great.  Kip's photos are amazing and it has been fun watching him work and prepare photos for publication while patiently answering a hundred questions from all of us about photography. He's a self taught photographer. The extensive equipment for above and below the water is mind boggling.  And he willingly shares any of the photos when we ask, which is typically any time we are looking through them

Eleanor's knowledge of the area is so extensive it is a wonder anyone can keep that much information in their head.  Her Caribbean lilt adds a special touch to all the scientific and historical insights she passes along throughout the day.  She is a true champion of this area and a funny, funny lady.

Kip Evans, Sylvia and Eleanor Phillips - our scientists
But the true star of this trip really is Dr. Earle.  Sylvia is a brilliant and focused scientist with the heart and enthusiasm of a kid.  She dances her way across the ocean, photographing and exploring every inch of the ocean as if it was the first time she's seen it, despite studying everything about it throughout her 7000 hours underwater.  She is the last one out of the water everytime.  She always emerges with a smile on her face and her signature "Woot". 

We've had some amazing conversations. There are times that I give my head a shake that I'm hearing her voice and it is coming from across the room and not my computer. And then there are other times that it is so natural it's like she just another member of the guests; especially when the two of us are attempting how to figure out how to add coffee to the fancy-schmancy coffee maker in the galley.
Sylvia's Ruby Flippers
She is a very special lady. I have no words that even come close to describing how very happy I am to be a part of this whole group.


Sylvia capturing our underwater adventures (photo: Lisa Robertson)

Huge lobster
One story Sylvia shared with us was a time she hung out with a spiny lobster and discovered that they are as curious about us as we are of them.  She sat in front of its little lair, patiently waiting for the lobster to feel comfortable.  After a few minutes, the lobster couldn't stand it anymore emerged to explore Sylvia's face like a child exploring a new creature.  I tried it, and had the lobster to a point where it was reachin gout but the current was so strong that it was impossible for me to hold my position without bashing into the coral.  Next time my spiny little friend.  Lobster is now definitely off my menu.  In fact, I made a promise to Sylvia that seafood is now off my plate for good.  We aren't fishing sustainably and until that happens, I will not contribute to their elimination.

I swam a foot above this ray, watching it skim the ocean floor

Day 3 was a land day of our Exuma Land and Sea Park tour.  After a 3 hour transfer to Hawksbill Cay sitting on the top deck taking in the scenery and talking with a couple of the other wonderful guests (honestly everyone is so nice and really interesting), we headed out for a walk.   That's right - a giant sandbar in the middle of bluest of blue water.

I'll take a moment to note that from this point on I had an insightful description of the creatures we saw and the type of sand but then a water spout/thunderstorm happened and we lost the signal and with it my commentary so you"ll have to head over to the SEA blog for more details tomorrow.





Gotta run. A snorkel boat is about to go out.  We've been under cover all morning. It is time to get out there and explore.


No comments: