Saturday 26 May 2012

Stormy Seas

Holy hell that was quite the storm yesterday.  We watched funnel clouds form from the top deck. There were light coloured clouds in front of the black giving us a detailed demonstration on how the air gets sucked up and swirled around.  Using binoculars you could watch the water below explode as the swirl touched down.  It was all fun and games until it started to swirl closer to the boat. A mad scramble broke out to secure deck chairs and umbrellas. I was assured that the boat was a lot heavier than the water spout could handle so no point heading for the bottom deck.  This crazy, wonderful group all grabbed cameras to capture the moment.





Since we couldn't dive, it was presentation time.  We gathered in the lounge to learn about Hope Spots and Mission Blue.  In 2009, Dr. Earle won the Ted Talks prize of $100,000 and a wish. If you haven't seen her talk, you can find it here. Ted Talks


I have watched this video about half a dozen times by now so to watch her talk to us in person about it was surreal.  She showed a heart breaking picture of an ocean trawler that dragged tonnes of Orange Roughy from their homes well below 200 meters.  These fish can live up to 150 years and don't reach breeding age until 20 or 30 years old.  To eat one of these is to eat a piece of ocean history.  It just isn't sustainable.  I don't know how Sylvia has been able to see this over and over again and not lose hope.  She mentioned that she sat on a whaling commission for 4 years and discussed the "humane killing"of whales - not because she wanted to but because someone needed to be their as an advocate for the whales.  I think I would have had a breakdown.  It was an honour to have her share her vision of hope and what needs to be done.  I'm 150% on board.

At lunch a discussion took place about what Mission Blue as an organization needs to accomplish its goals. Clearly I do not run in the same circles as some of the other participants but it is great to see the ability of everyone to pull their resources, contacts and minds together to make sure the call to action is answered. 

Our day ended with a trip to the mangroves. The plan was to snorkel down the cut to this spectacular beach.  Everyone has been suiting up in wet suits for our snorkel trips and I've been scoffing at them.  But this time they were spot on. The water was cold and murky from the rain so I chose a spot in the sun to catch up on some sleep.  When I woke up we were on the most beautiful beach I have ever seen.  With the dark clouds in the distance (yet another storm) and the light behind us, we had landed in paradise.


The evening ended in yet another spectacular meal followed by some amazing video and pictures taken by Kip on previous Hope Spots expeditions.  I have now taken to crying everytime they launch a video so if we don't get back in the water soon I will be severely dehydrated.  I'm sad that this is coming to an end.  My personal hope is this isn't the last time I will see everyone but the reality is that everyone will get back to this very important mission.  Time will be precious.  But at least I got a chance to take part in something that I care deeply about with people who have an endless source of dedication to making a difference. 


This morning's insomnia treated my to a spectacular sunrise off the bow of the boat as we motored to Conception Island.  Fingers are crossed for a dive filled day.



No comments: