Sunday 20 May 2012

Trip of a lifetime

I know, I know – I just came off an month long trip through SE Asia.  And don’t get me wrong, that was a spectacular trip. Angkor Wat, biking through the Mekong, Cao Dia temple – it was all amazing. Which just goes to show how much this next trip means to me.  I would even venture to say possibly life changing.

For those who haven’t been subjected to my endless chatter about this trip, I have secured one of nine spots on a 126’yacht in the Bahamas with my hero and ocean super hero Dr. Sylvia Earle.  For the full details of how this happened you can read about it here: http://seasister.wordpress.com/.
I started a second strictly ocean related blog, Sea Sister, on the off chance that this trip is the start of something new for me.  It could be my opportunity to have a bigger impact in the efforts to protect the oceans, my favourite playground.  I will maintain this blog as well because this content is geared to friends and family. That means I can tell you that I almost had a meltdown yesterday when Air Canada put me on hold when I asked them to confirm my ticket because I couldn’t check in on line. Or how I selected my one and only long pair of pants for the trip only to find out once I reached the airport that I must have been a bit chubbier last summer because my pants won’t stay up.  Or how I am so nervous and excited that I’m hitting the point of nausea.  No I will save all of those little details for you my friends because you know me and hang out with me despite those quirks.  I don’t need to share that with the rest of the world.

I'm now in Nassau. It just started raining which is great because I'm off to find out if Flamingo Air actually exists.  I booked a flight with them but when I looked in the hotel directory, the airline wasn't listed.  That, of course, raises a couple concerns.  Will there be a plane to get me to Staniel Cay and if so, will said plane actually make it to Staniel Cay.  Oh the joys of travel.
Speaking of joy, this is the view from my balcony. Once I confirm my flight I will be taking part in some water type activity.

No comments: