Saturday 1 December 2012

Head for the Hills

Yesterday was a déjà vu.  I was up early and ready to head for the mountains with my travel mate and then got the news that she was down for the count with "something".  The food microbiologist in me kicked in and tried to figure out if and when I would be hit as well but we determined it was the ice in her drink. Long live bottled beer I say. So I did what I've done before and headed off on my own to Shimla - an Indian Banff.

The drive alone was entertaining. And by entertaining I liken it to any terror ride in Disney World plus the Amazing Race.  Switch back highway complete with sheer cliffs, passing on a blind curve and random cows (those make it really exciting). 

But we finally reached the village of Shimla; the summer capital of British India. Cute place. Outlawed smoking AND spitting in public. Love it.

The biggest challenge of the day was making sure the driver knew where to pick me up. The biggest issue is that drivers will say "okay" when they really mean" I have no clue what you are saying you crazy person". I try to be clear but there are only so many ways you can say the same thing and point at the map.  The biggest problem this time was he couldn't believe I wanted to walk 2 km when I had a perfectly good (and paid for) car. But after 10 minutes I finally figured what is the worst that could happen and left the driver at one end of the mall, hoping to see him two hours later at our meeting spot. Clearly it all worked out.

So I walked the Mall to my lunch spot overlooking the Himalayas (so unreal) and finally met my driver at our appointed place.  I think he was more relieved than me because my parting words were "don't lose me". Clearly he understood that. Or the desperate tone.

The town was really unique and steep. They actually have an elevator to take to from the Mall back to the main traffic street. A very sketchy and small elevator.  But all in all, a very good outing.  I'll wait until I'm home to post the video.


Langur monkeys


Shimla

The start of the walk along the Mall
 

The Mall shopping area - and yes I did some Christmas shopping
 
My view at lunch

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, looks amazing. Glad he didn't "lose you"! We want to see you back here after your amazing adventure.

Val