Saturday 1 December 2012

Sightseeing

Yes this is a work trip and the conference starts today BUT I've never been one to miss a chance to see what's around be it Vietnam, India or Nebraska.  So with a little downtime I've been able to take in some famous sights around Chandigarh.  The one highlight that I really wanted to see was the Nek Chand's Rock Gardens.  This 40 acre park is the coolest man-made park I've ever seen.  You can get the full story on line but here are a couple signs from the garden about the start of the garden or this website (http://www.nekchand.com/).




The whole park has been constructed into one giant art project. The walls have been built and inlaid with natural and man-made recycled materials with sculptures and shaped rocks everywhere. He even shaped roots and branches.

 
When I read about this park I just thought it would be a few thousand sculptures scattered throughout the park so this labyrinth of rock walls and waterfalls was outstanding.  But the sculptures were really the highlight and very creative.
 
 
But the sculptures weren't the only highlight it seems.  Add two foreigners and a bus load of school children and the park no longer is the attraction. It started off in a polite orderly fashion but degraded into pushing frenzy once the boys got involved.  
 


I would like to go back in the morning if I get time.  We lost light right at the best part at the end. 
Plus every time I stopped kids would gather to get another photo so it would be nice to go back minus the fans.



 

No comments: